Become a refugee in USA or other country
Become a refugee in USA or other country
Become a refugee in USA or other country
Become a refugee in USA or other country

Have you ever thought about becoming a refugee in USA or other country where you can find a better future for you and your family? Is a common situation that people in El Salvador take the difficult decision of leaving and travel permanently to other country.

We are going through difficult times in our country, high criminality index, bad economic conditions, with the government trying to increase the taxes every time is possible, with ideas like changing the AFP system, increasing the retiring life of the employees, 60 for women, 65 for men, all these because the government is running out of money due to the blatant corruption and incompetence in the legislative and executive organs.

And far to get to a point where we all start to see things getting better, is completely the opposite, it gets worse and worse every day.

This is why traveling out of El Salvador sometimes is the most convenient choice that people can find, there are several ways to leave, one of them is as a refugee.

But first, what is a refugee?, which is the international law document that supports this status?, who can be a refugee?

On july 28TH, 1951 THE CONVENTION AND PROTOCOL RELATING TO THE  STATUS OF REFUGEES was approved, it document was only for European refugees, however in 1967 it was extended to refugees without any geographic limitation, this is the legal document defining who is a refugee, the rights and obligations of the refugees and the rights and obligations of the signing countries.

According to this convention in the article 1 letter A number 2 says that a refugee is  A person who owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it.

Based on this definition, to get asylum in any of the signing countries the applicants must establish that he or she fears persecution, that he or she would be persecuted on account of one or five protected grounds: race, religion, nationality, political opinion and social group and finally he or she must establish that the government is either involved in the persecution, or unable to control de conduct of private actors.

Lately, illegal immigrants are taking this option, however is important to have a proper assessment from an experienced lawyer expert in the subject.

According to the UNHCR´s statistics, there are about 15.4 million of refugees around the world, normally the refugees flee away from the country or area where they are at risk or under danger, and they ask for asylum in this second country, a small number of refugees are allowed to get the citizenship in the second country, and less that 1 percent of all refugees are resettled in a third country, normally the United States is the country that receives more refugees as a third country.

When the refugees are sent to the U.S., they are met at the airport after their arrival, they they are taken to their apartment with basic furnishings and appliances, then they are helped to get  a Social Security Card, registering children in school, and help the refugees learning English.

The Department of State´s Reception and Placement program provides the funds to help the refugees to settle in the U.S.

After one year the refugees can apply for permanent residence, and after five years they can apply for the U.S. citizenship.

In Our country abused woman could apply as refugees, many cases have had a successful result in the U.S., however is necessary to prove that the life of the woman is in danger, with official police reports, medical evidence and even witnesses.

Si deseas citar este artículo, hazlo así:

AVENDAÑO, MARCELO. “BECOME A REFUGEE IN USA OR OTHER COUNTRY”. Publicado en la Revista Jurídica Digital “Enfoque Jurídico” el 14 de octubre de 2015.